203 East Pecan St
Pflugerville, Texas 78660
Administration: (512) 251-2801
Emergencies: 9-1-1

FIRE DANGER

Low

BURN BAN

ON
Permit Required

Home Heating Safety

Tuesday, January 2nd, 2018

During cold weather, remember these simple steps to prevent home heating fires and carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Never use an oven to heat your home.
  • Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from fireplaces and portable space heaters, including decorations, rugs, curtains, pillows, baskets, and books. Likewise, follow the 3-feet rule for kids and pets to help keep them from getting burned.
  • Always turn off space heaters when you leave the room and when you’re going to sleep.
  • Get your chimneys and other heating equipment inspected (and cleaned as needed) by a professional every year.
  • All types of fuel-burning equipment should be vented to the outside of your house to avoid carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. CO is a deadly gas that’s odorless and colorless. If you have ANY TYPE of fuel-burning equipment for heating or cooking in your home, including both wood and gas fireplaces, stoves, and ovens, you should install at least one CO detector on every level of the home. Remember to test your CO detectors each month and change the batteries every 6 to 12 months, just like you should do with your smoke alarms! If you have questions about CO alarms or know someone who needs assistance, please call our non-emergency Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Alarm Hotline at 512-989-4516; messages are usually returned the next business day.
  • Ensure your fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop any sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container; keep that container a safe distance away from your home.