What is carbon monoxide, and how do I know if my home needs carbon monoxide alarms?

Wednesday, September 27th, 2017

Carbon monoxide is known as the “invisible killer.” Known as CO, this poisonous gas is odorless and colorless. You can’t smell or see it. Each year in the U.S., unintentional CO poisoning kills over 400 people and sends more than 20,000 to the emergency room.

You must have CO alarms at home if you have any gas appliances, such as a gas-powered stove, oven, furnace, water heater, or fireplace. We also recommend you have CO alarms if you have any type of fireplace (even wood-burning), an attached garage, or a heated hot tub / pool.

  For more information, please read our printable Get to Know CO leaflet here.