FIRE DANGER

Moderate

BURN BAN

ON
Permit Required

Be Safe with Fireworks

Thursday, June 13th, 2019

Be prepared to enjoy a safe holiday! Fireworks are dangerous, even where they are allowed by law. They are illegal in the City of Pflugerville and most other Central Texas cities. We strongly encourage you to talk with everyone in your household about fireworks safety, every year.

  • Drinking and fireworks are a very dangerous mix. Never use fireworks if you are under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • Never let kids 5 years or younger handle any fireworks, including sparklers! Kids this age suffer the most fireworks burns and injuries. Give young kids glow-sticks instead.
  • Sparklers can cause serious burns. Sparklers reach over 1,200 degrees when lit! Light sparklers one at a time, ideally wearing gloves.
  • Never let children purchase fireworks without you there — even older kids.
  • Insist on there being adult supervision whenever fireworks will be lit. Did you know that children 10 to 14 years old get the second-most number of fireworks burns and injuries?
  • Only light fireworks OUTSIDE on a flat surface that’s far from any homes or buildings.
  • Do not light fireworks near any dry grass, leaves, or bushes.
  • Before lighting a firework, take a good look around to be sure there are not any people or pets in range of possibly getting hurt.
  • Shooting fireworks out of metal or glass containers can cause serious injuries.
  • Don’t lean over firework devices or place your hand over them when lighting. Immediately back up as far as you can after lighting.
  • Never try to re-light fireworks that didn’t work.
  • To dispose of used fireworks, soak them thoroughly with water before picking them up or throwing them away.

Think about vets and pets. The sound of fireworks causes some veterans and dogs to experience fear and anxiety. Also, when pets eat fireworks, they may experience poisoning symptoms such as vomiting, a painful abdomen, and bloody diarrhea, so be sure to clean up used fireworks.

 

  • Teach children (and remind adults!) to STOP, DROP, and ROLL immediately if their clothes or hair ever catch fire. Practice with them.
  • For all burns, pour cool water over the burn for one minute for kids, and five minutes for teens/adults. Do NOT put ice on it; ice can deepen the burn and decrease body temperature. For serious burns, call 9-1-1. Remove any burned clothing, then wrap the person in a clean, dry blanket to keep them warm until help arrives.